Monday, March 29, 2004

Getting to know...

Joseph John Mari A. De Los Reyes aka Deeeeck
Vitals: Met freshman year of high school in 1992. Iya and I were talking to Jhoette on the phone and he was telling us about their new friend Joe who graduated from St. Brendan. After raving about how cool he was, Iya and I were like, “Oh cool, can’t wait to meet him.” To which Jhoette responded, “Oh good cuz I gave him your phone numbers already.” Joe called about 5 minutes after that conversation = 12 years and counting
Role In My Life: Caring and Accommodating Friend – Caring and accommodating are the only words I could think of to translate into English a tagalong term I think describes Joe: “maasikaso.” I’m not that confident about the spelling, but anyhow, it means he’s all about making sure everyone’s taken care of, whether it’s calling to ask if I needed a ride home from school or following me home when I drove from Irvine to Glendale for the very first time by myself.
Good Times: In the summer of 1997, Joe and I took a geography class at Glendale Community College to help fulfill some social science class requirements for UCI (This is when we he was a bio major and I was a chemical engineering major. Little did we know we’d be all about social science classes after that summer!) The class was 8 weeks long (I think), Monday-Thursday, 8-10 am. Our ONE fieldtrip took place on a Saturday morning, to the Palmdale section of the San Andreas fault. Joe took his navy blue, Honda civic…NO AIR CONDITIONING!…IN THE MIDDLE OF JULY!…AAAAAAAAAAAH! We drove all the way there and back with the windows open and the blaring heat and sand all up in our faces!
In his own words: “Hey, don’t hate.”

No comments: