Sunday, March 28, 2004

STAYIN' *NSYNC

I have accounting homework to finish (of course), but I just finished watching *NSYNC: TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY on E! and I am reminded of how much I miss these guys so I HAVE to write an entry about it. Go ahead and laugh! I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes, talkin' your smack, but hey, I was and always will be a fan.

Since I watched their Disney concert special in 1998, I was hooked! Yes, I will admit, that I liked the Backstreet Boys too...I liked them like I like, ummm...Beyonce or Dido. Cool songs, I'd buy their cd's, but that's it. Something about Justin, Chris, Joey, JC and Lance caused an unbelievable attachement issue with me though. It wasn't just their music and their dancing or their looks and their fashion that attracted me, it's that they looked like they'd be fun to hang out with. Their songs, some which were so ridiculously catchy and others just great to listen to (corny ballads and all), were pleasant to the ears. Oh man, was I in trouble upon this discovery! It was New Kids on the Block all over again...or was it? How long, I wondered, would THIS phase last?

All of a sudden, others around me began to cave in to the boys' charm as well: Ate Tin-Tin (who accompanied me to my very first *NSYNC concert at the forum, convinced me to ditch class to drive up to Big Bear to see them), Iya (who when she was at my house and I was recording *NSYNC on the Tonight Show said, "Who are these guys, the Backstreet Boys?" and "oh my gosh I can't believe you memorize their dance steps?!"), Leia (who refused to pay anything over $20 to watch a concert when I asked her if she wanted an extra ticket we had, but ended up going to like 4 of the 8 concerts I attended), Fantone (who 2 days after seeing them in concert for the first time MET JC!), Isa (who couldn't believe she got convinced into attending the NO STRINGS ATTACHED concert in San Diego but came out WITH AN *NSYNC GLOW STICK AROUND HER NECK talkin' 'bout "SPACE COWBOY WAS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE SHOW!!"). I gotta give it to my lovely Irvine gals (with the exception of Annie, who stayed true to her love for 311 and NO DOUBT), for being down to drive to the Rose Bowl, for being down to get up at 5 am so we could be part of MTV's Road To Celebrity before the POPOdyssey tour in San Diego and for being down just to join in the fun! I'm sure Iya is really proud of her fellow UCLA *NSYNC crew as well: Irene (the one true Lance fan I know), Rochelle, Randy, Rachele, Fernand and Marnelli! I'm proud of them too!

So, 6 years, 4 albums, 8 concerts and a gazillion magazine covers later, I'm still a fan (among others) and I think that says something about them (they're no flashes in the pan) and me (I wasn't a fan just to be a fan because they were hot at a certain point in time). Many have allowed the *NSYNC mania to flush out of their system and that's cool. At least they got to experience it. As for the millions of us faithful diehards left (Hey Ate, Ate Cyn, Iya and Rachele!!!), we wait breathlessly for whatever the boys have in store for us next. With this I shall depart with *NSYNC's most famous words...ByeByeBye...

No comments: