Friday, March 19, 2004

LITTLE MISS FICKLE

...That's ME in a nutshell! I haven't made a sound decision on anything in so long that I've just about floated through this vast body of water I call life practically void of mistakes and, sadly, experiences to learn from. Making choices is a weakness for me because I've developed a chronic mistrust in my decision-making skills, trying to avoid any unexpected losses of pride. Take note, for example....

For the last few months...okay the last few YEARS, I've been wading through life, trying to get a feel for my career options so I can finally start doing something I am comfortable doing. It has been 4 years since I got my blessed B.A. and I feel (as most of you know) absolutely lost as to what comes next. Back in the easy streets of college life, I never thought PAST attaining my bachelor's degree. It was hard enough to get THAT! But I've come to realize in the last few years, however, that a B.A. in International Studies is...just a B.A. It's no Master's, and everyone knows that if you graduate with a B.A. in a social science/liberal arts major, a Master's is almost always forthcoming. So was anyone planning to tell me any of this BEFORE I dropped out of the B.S. race in Chemical Engineering? No, not really. I haven't had one 24-hour day where I wasn't wondering when my life was going to change.

So tonight I decided (FINALLY!) to take a matter into my own hands and attend an informational meeting with the University of Redlands extension in burbank on attaining an MBA. An MBA? ME? Do I LOOK like I could be one of Donald Trump's apprentices? Not yet, but I could be. Wedding planner - MBA - CPA - writer - photographer...oh the possibilities are endless! But to be honest with you, sometimes I hate this free will thing we have. I'd rather someone just tell me what I'm good at and what I should do with it. But NO, we get to be the makers of our own futures! How bittersweet is this gift from God?

No comments: