Thursday, March 25, 2004

A WEEKEND WITH THE MORELOS’

I’ve known the Morelos’ for 14 years because they’re Iya’s family and I love them like my own! Lemme break ‘em down for you all, just for fun. Head of the family, Tito Nesty, soft-spoken and calm (like many of our dads are), always has a smile on his face and an occasional cap on his head. He’s Mr. Tennis Pro who loves and real often sounds like Frank Sinatra (wow, sipsip!). Tita Susie, Iya’s mommy, has always reminded me of Cindy Walsh, Brenda and Brandon’s mom on 90210. It’s cuz she’s such a caring, well-spoken woman, a problem solver, who always has a solution to life’s problems, big and small. She’s also quite the brain, which validates Iya’s “intelligence” I guess…hee hee hee…just playing Iya! You know I’m justh jealousth of you! Iya’s got two older brothers; Kuya Dennis, who has inherited Tito Nesty’s taciturn disposition, is married to Ate Myla, a nurse. They're expecting their first baby this summer; Kuya Francis, funny man who proudly works for DREAMWORKS, is married to Ate Jenny (a future singer I tell you!). They’re expecting their first baby this May (or maybe April, according to their doctor) and my sister and I had the pleasure of assisting Iya with their baby shower this past Saturday. You already know Iya so I won't talk about her (Refer back to her Getting to know profile on January 26th for further info).

So the baby shower, themed with moon and stars, was inspired by the DREAMWORKS symbol. It was so funny because so many of Kuya Francis and Ate Jenny's friends are having babies too. There were AT LEAST 3 or 4 pregnant women there this weekend, I kid you not! I think that’s so wonderful! All their kids have future playmates already! I can’t wait until all of you who are reading this start having kids! Can you imagine? 10 years from now, most of us will be parents! Scary thought considering the boys are still way into their lemme-try-to-grab-your-crotch-as-my-way-of-saying-hello stages. Anyhow, everyone had fun at the shower with the fun games and great food provided. GREAT JOB NINANG IYA!

On Sunday, I attended a memorial service and mass for Iya’s ninang, Tita Annie, who passed away last week. Bittersweet was the day, as most memorial services tend to be. Sad as everyone was for her passing, it was also a day that celebrated her life. Iya’s relatives from the east coast even flew out here to add to the loving farewells to a family member who I know they will miss dearly.

Seeing how a family reacts to two such juxtaposing events such as those that surpassed this weekend is a true telling of their character. Joyous was Saturday afternoon, overflowing with excitement and anxiety for the new parents-to-be, not to mention the freshest little light of life to come. Sunday was somber, filled with a regretful sadness that only death can bring, but capped with a unique comfort that only family can provide. These are the Morelos’, and spending time with them this weekend only reminds me of how lucky I am as well, to be part of a family as fun-loving, quirky and caring as they are. Ever present are the trials that life can bring, but so too are the ties that bind, that which we call family.

No comments: