Sunday, March 14, 2004

MOVIE MAKE-OVERS: CAN THEY RESULT IN TRUE LOVE?

I know geez, what a long title, but I just finished watching the ABC family movie, CELESTE IN THE CITY and I just had to talk about this. (For future reference, Iya, Rochelle and I love ABC Family movies. They're all pretty predictable, but so God-awfully entertaining and heartwarming that it's hard to resist).

Anyhow, you've all seen it; a girl (or guy) in a movie is not the hippest, not the best dresser, not the most popular, is kind of a geek or weirdo and some form of intervention decides to dote upon this poor, tactless being an opportunity for a new life...by making them more "attractive" so as to instill some form of confidence. Upon this make-over, suddenly people begin to notice they're worthy of attention, thereby cueing the most popular girl or guy around to fall madly in love with this newly made up person they had ignored before their "big change." SHE'S ALL THAT, CAN'T BUY ME LOVE, MISS CONGENIALITY: These are all examples of this situation and I liked all these movies. But deep inside I think it sucks that it always takes something like a make-over to make someone notice you, in order for them to WANT to spend time with you AND THEN realize you're a person worthy of their love. WHAT A CROCK I think sometimes.

But this movie tonight, it was a little different. I loved it because Kyle, Ethan Embry's character (the "leading man" if you will) fell for this girl, Celeste, BEFORE her stupid make-over. It's kind of cute because she initially thought that he was gay so she acted like herself, not feeling the need to be prim and proper to impress him. Anyhoo, he did so many wonderful things for her and he loved her company, before she had her frizzy curly hair straightened, got contacts and found some fashion sense. It was nice to see. I hope there are people out there like Kyle, who won't fall for someone because they look like Brad Pitt or Britney Spears. I remember telling someone that the guy who falls in love with me when I'm in a sweatshirt and warm-ups, glasses and headband is the definitive keeper. Is this optimism or what?

No comments: