Thursday, April 13, 2006

age ['Aj]
the time of life at which some particular qualification, power, or capacity arises or rests; one of the stages of life; the length of an existence extending from the beginning to any given time
Synonyms include: adolescence, adulthood, childhood, elderliness, infancy, youth

It’s so funny how we used to call Ryan “Buff Daddy” (actually that was Eric’s doing and we just caught on). We used to (oh wait, we still do – haha!) tease him because this guy had a whole gym in his apartment and he was so good about working out all the time. Anyhow, he turned 29 years old this weekend.
Wow…29! I know that everyone of you who are older than that roll your eyes and you may want to sock me, but every year we seem to get closer to THAT PART of lives. You know what I’m talking about; that part of our lives that we probably never really thought about much as a kid. Adulthood, as a child (at least to me anyway), was about being married, having kids, working in the daytime and watching tv with the family at night. It was about getting to buy whatever I wanted because I’d have a job. Funny how expectations change as you get older and realize how many gray areas of uncertainty life has.
I remember saying “when I grow up, I wanna be a…” and how often that last part changed. I wanted to be a doctor, a nurse, a nun, a fashion designer, a graphic designer, an astronomer, an astrophysicist, an aerospace engineer, a chemical engineer, a CPA and now, here I am, trying to be a writer. I guess one of the most wonderful things I've learned about getting older is that, it's okay not to be sure of anything, especially when it comes to the "big things," like career and love.
So anyhow, on Saturday we celebrated Ryan's birthday with dinner at Claim Jumpers in Stevenson Ranch. A party of almost 30 people, made up of Ryan’s family and friends, we ate, caught up, drank and laughed all evening. Sometimes it just feels nice to to be certain of the only moment we'll ever really be sure of occuring: THE NOW.

No comments: