Friday, January 28, 2005

GREEN

Why do they say "green with envy?" Does anyone know where that expression came from? Anyhow, if you know, please share because I've been curious but have been too lazy to research it myself.

SO, who here will admit to being a jealous person? I didn't think I was of the envious kind until the last few years. Man was I in denial! But I realize that I am. I'm all kinds of jealous; jealous of what others have (or sometimes DON'T have), jealous about other people's relationships with each other, always wondering how I stand compared to someone else - the list goes on!

I discovered that jealousy is counter-productive for one's ego. How can one effectively maintain their self-importance, their pride, when they're constantly waiting for other people to contribute to it? It negates the whole SELF part, doesn't it? This turns into a self-esteem issue now.

We often don't accomplish what we want when jealousy comes into play, because then we start questioning the motives behind our actions and words, making the best of intentions carry out in vain. Are you saying or doing something because you WANT to? Or because you're trying to show someone up? Envy - not one of the seven deadly sins for nothing.

Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings instead of your own. ~Harold Coffin

The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.
~William Penn, Some Fruits of Solitude, 1693

Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope.
~Josh Billings

No comments: