Tuesday, February 01, 2005

THAT WHICH IS TRUE

I just had the most insightful conversation with my classmate from elementary school tonight. Adriana and I have been friends since we first stepped onto that playground at St. Francis of Assisi School in 1982. We were only five years old (Actually I was five and she was four because her birthday wasn’t until Halloween). Anyhow, all throughout high school, then college until now, we’ve still managed to keep in touch no matter where our careers have led us or no matter how many times we’ve moved. It never seems to make a difference where we are in life because we always find each other somehow.

Some may ask what makes this so special. Well, I know how very blessed I am to have friends and family who are around me all the time, caring and loving me in the most special way they know how. But to know someone from your almost long forgotten past, and still remain to hold a conversation with him/her without unconsciously creating uncomfortable silences? That’s so rare. And Adriana and I don’t just “chew the fat,” we’ve talked about a hundred different things, all of them matters we hold dear. What a rare gift this true friendship is.

There are seriously times when I ask God how I could possibly deserve the blessings that I have; given to me in the abundant portions in which I receive them. But there are also times when I’m consciously being very selfish, wishing I had more than I already do, sounding as ungrateful as I possibly could. I know heaven hears me and that’s when I fear that all the blessings I have are going to be taken away. Yet I wake up the following day, and the day after that…and then the day after that one, and here you all are, still present in my life. What miracles could be truer?


Getting to know...
ADRIANA MADRIGAL aka ADRIANA
Vitals:
Met by the lunch tables on our first day of kindergarten at St. Francis of Assisi School in 1982 = 23 years and counting
Role In My Life: Real-Life Childhood Friend – Like I mentioned in my last entry, Adriana and I have known each other since we were wee little gals in our plaid jumpers running around the jungle gym during recess and lunch. Every single time we see each other, it’s always such a wonderful moment that brings me back to all the times in our lives when responsibilities were few and simplicity of life ruled! Adriana is one of those friends you can lose touch with for 2 years and then get a random phonecall from one day and it’s as if you’d spoken just an hour before.
Good Times: Adriana is the very first person who made me realize how obsessive compulsive I am. She probably doesn’t remember this, but I do, and every time I recall this event I can’t help but laugh. When we were in kindergarten, the corner of our classroom was set up like a house. It had a small oven and dining table, a cradle for the baby doll and drawers for the doll’s clothing. One day when playtime was over, Adriana and I were cleaning up the playhouse. I was putting plates and pans in the oven and straightening up the chair and re-folding all the dolly’s clothes that Adriana had just folded. When she saw me she was like, “AMMA LISSA (She seriously thought my name was “Amma”) I JUST FOLDED THAT! WHY DO YOU KEEP REDOING EVERYTHING I’M DOING!” hahaha…oh man, talk about adolescent OCD.
In her own words: “Why do you eat like that?” (ME: “Like what?”) “With a fork and a spoon? That’s weird!” At 5 years old this was my first taste of cultural differences.

No comments: