Friday, February 25, 2005

CLEAR!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ER! I think it’s my favorite tv show of all time, even above F*R*I*E*N*D*S (Ooooh shocker!)! I’ve watched every single episode religiously since the pilot in 1994 when I was a JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL! I remember during that first episode, Jhoette called and told him, “Dude, I’ll call you later, I’m watching ER. YOU should be watching this too future doctor!” 11 years later, I still look forward to every Thursday night at 10:00 and Jhoette, wouldn’t you know it, is in med school.

Every episode has a life of its own. There are days when poignancy is key, from newborn babies dying minutes after birth, to a man’s diagnosis of lung cancer after years of smoking, to model doctors leaving the ER behind. There are also days that scream triumph, like seeing a med student through their various rotations and then seeing them become doctors. The show invites all types of emotions; done simply by making the audience care about the characters through riveting story lines that just get to the core of the human spirit.

Last night’s episode was particularly heartbreaking, yet heartwarming at the same time, with newly baptized doctor Neela at County General in Chicago and marine Dr. Gallant, stationed in the Middle East, channeling their experiences in a letter narrated throughout the show. Clever! Ate Tin-Tin and I always have a post-ER discussion at 11:00 pm. Sometimes we’re crying, sometimes we’re angry and sometimes we’re laughing. Last night Ate wanted to hurl because of all the gore in yesterday’s episode (You ok now ate?), but she loved it nonetheless. Rochelle’s barely getting into the show now and I love talking to her about it, especially because she recognizes some of the medical jargon and procedures! Any ER fans out there? Let’s talk!

No comments: