Tuesday, February 15, 2005

A DAY WITH THE BOSSES

I swear I feel like I live on a plane because after a week on solid ground, I had to take to the skies for another ride on Southwest Airlines this morning. I'm helping out our Concord office until Thursday afternoon and I'm staying over with my Tita Mayette, Tito Paul and Megan in rainy Martinez, CA.

This day has been so random. I flew over here with my boss, Jack (who I sometimes forget is my boss because he's such a goofball when he's not trying to get business out of people). And then we met up with two of our VP's who flew in from Kansas City, MO; Herb, our COO and Bryan, our CFO. I was truly curious as to what the car ride from Oakland Airport to the office would be like with these superiors of mine. I sometimes get that anxious, paranoid feeling when it comes to dealing with people on whom my financial livelihood depends. But I have to say that it was actually pretty cool. Although, I actually noticed a few stares from people who might've been thinking, "what is this little asian girl doing with these 3 white guys?" hahaha...Cracked me up inside! I had to laugh to myself for a good part of the car ride because they talked the most typical guy talk you could ever hear: sports and cars.

Then they checked into their hotel and we had lunch with the office manager from our Concord office, Remelie. It was a welcome relief to have another woman in their company, I must say.

I worked until 5:00 pm, at which time Tita Mayette (who works at the office) took me to this Japanese restaurant, Matsu Sushi for dinner. 'Lo and behold who comes to join us 15 minutes after our arrival? Jack, Herb and Bryan! Tito Paul and Megan came shortly after. So there we were, the 7 of us, having dinner together. How weird! But I can't say how nice of an experience it's been to have spent this much time with our VP's, who, I've been reminded, aren't just Vice Presidents of a large company. They're 2 regular guys, sports entusiasts, who have families they love talking about. It's comforting to know that bosses are people too.

No comments: