Saturday, January 01, 2005

FORWARD MARCH

This year, to me, has been about one thing: self-(re)discovery. It’s been about regaining inner strength when you’re at your weakest point. It’s been about searching your soul for answers that were never hidden to begin with. It’s been about realizing your potential to do what’s right for you and not caring what others might say. And it’s been about the hope that resides in even the most hopeless of situations. This year has been about believing.

Who here can deny me the fact that the last 12 months can only be described by 1 word?…CRAZY! 2004 was so…eventful. Emotional hills and valleys were the thing this past year, and it wasn’t all about just one cause. All of us, at one time or another, felt a need to release some type of negative energy into the world, whether it be over a broken heart, a fractured dream or a complete state of confusion. We’ve all experienced some kind of hurt this year…but we’re all still here, at the beginning of a new 12 months, ready and willing to leave the past in the past and look forward to tomorrow. I guess whoever coined that expression, “If it doesn’t kill you, it only makes you stronger” wasn’t totally lying.

I can probably recall, with much tearful longing, every single moment in 2004 when I witnessed loss. I don’t think I could ever relive the pain and anguish that I saw in others, and myself, upon each time we had to let go of something or someone we might’ve hoped would be there forever. But I can also recall with more fondness every single moment after THAT when my eyes were opened to perseverance, faith and hope so strong I couldn’t believe I never noticed it.


“When the Lord closes a door, some way He opens a window.” That’s my favorite line from my favorite movie and I can’t believe how much truth it holds. There will be a shortage on empty promises this year and certainly no ultra-ambitious resolutions are going to be made. Doing that is a thing of the past. 2005 is going to be a year when we stop trying to open the closed doors in our lives. They were closed for a reason. This year is about finally seeing what was there all along. We’re hopping out those open windows no matter how high up we may be. I have faith that someone or something will be standing there, waiting anxiously to break our fall.

Here's to 2005, everyone! I wish you all the greatest of hope!

No comments: