Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Getting to know...Special Double Feature

LOURDES D. GONDA, M.D. aka NINANG BABY
Vitals: Met when I was a baby! She's my dad's 2nd to youngest sibling = 26 years and counting
Role In My Life: Fairy Godmother - In all seriousness, Ninang is not only MY source of guidance for a few areas in my life, but she’s Miss Helpful to the great number of people who surround her. I can’t tell you enough about her giving heart, as it would take me years to express the gratitude she brings out of all those whose lives she’s touched with her kindness. She’s such a model of generosity and love that practically half of us cousins call her our “Ninang;” and she responds in kind at every birthday and holiday season with gifts galore.
Good Times: Ninang and I spent the weekend in Arizona to support Tita Cile at the Rock ‘n Roll Marathon. For the most part, she and I were left alone to fend for ourselves while Tita Cile tended to her activities. On Saturday night, we had to find a drug store because she forgot her toothbrush and hairspray so we drove this looooooooong road in search of anything and…nothing. That whole area of Scottsdale was nothing but sand and cacti. So we drove the other way, about 5 miles, until we finally reached this fancy shmancy grocery store. All that for a loaf of bread, bottled water, hairspray and a toothbrush.
In her own words: “Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl…” - My ninang’s been a huge Fanilow since her younger days and if she’s not singing Church songs (She’s part of the charismatic group at church), she’s sure to be humming a Barry tune.

~~ AND ~~

MARIA CECILIA D. GONDA aka TITA CILE
Vitals: Met when I was a baby too! SHE’S the one who wanted to name me “Wilhemina!” She's my dad's youngest sibling = 26 years and counting
Role In My Life: Hip and Happenin' Aunt - Tita Cile and I are 12 years apart in age but I talk to her like I talk to my friends. We can sit and talk forever about anything – family, fashion, love, career, all I can think of. And while being the friend that I can vent to, she remains the aunt who I look to for advice and encouragement as well. She’s another wonderful example of generosity, helping so many less fortunate souls find peace and comfort as an active member of St. Vincent de Paul. Well-traveled, successful in her career as an architect and loved by all who meet her, I can’t ask for a better example to follow.
Good Times: I never had formal piano lessons, but what I could learn Tita Cile and Ninang were happy to teach me. I remember one time when I was still in elementary school, I happened to be practicing one of the pieces I was learning while Tita Cile was vacuming about 40 feet away from me. When I finished playing the piece, the vacume turned off from the other room and I just heard Tita Cile yell “DO IT AGAIN!!!”
In her own words: "“I loooooove pasta…I looooooove coffee…I loooooooove popcorn…I looooooove sushi…” Tita Cile is ALWAYS loving something!

No comments: