Friday, January 07, 2005

SLOWLY BUT SURELY

I just watched a 20/20 special report headlined “The Obesity Olympics” and I feel empowered somehow. Two families whose members were diagnosed clinically obese underwent an 8-week guided weight-loss regimen resulting in no less than tearful results. I was a little teary-eyed myself as I looked on. So what was so different with THIS “life-altering” case? No one got nipped or tucked; no one was deprived of those evil carbohydrates; no one lost an unimaginable amount of weight in little time; and every person’s “after” image was still as recognizable as their “before.” The difference here was that each member of those two families lost weight because they made a decision to undergo a whole new lifestyle and they began it with realistic goals.

I’ went to the gym two days in a row this week (which is quite an accomplishment considering I haven’t gone in almost 2 months) and for the first time, I felt like I actually WANTED to be there. And for SOME reason, I’ve ceased to gorge on every bit of food I see, more consciously trying to eat what I should. Don’t even think I’m close to making any kind of promises about weight-loss because I’m SO not. I KNOW what happens the second I do. But I’m hoping to take the lead of those two families on 20/20 who depended only on themselves for a change of heart, mind AND body. All I really pray for is the patience to persevere because my health isn’t something I’m willing to compromise much longer. I know it's not going to be easy, but I also know I’m not alone and that’s what makes me feel all the more energized! Round 23 turbo-kickboxing anyone?

No comments: