Wednesday, March 09, 2005

GEEK-DWEEB-NERD

I started a blog entry yesterday, but then I remembered I had to start an assignment for class, a piece of creative non-fiction, so I decided that I’d just turn that blog entry into homework. Hahaha…It’s my first assignment, due next Tuesday, and I figured that since I rambled on for 300 words (I counted), I’d save myself the stress of trying to figure out what I could write about and just tweak what I have just enough so it’s decent enough to hand in.

What a relief it is to have been given lots of creative freedom. We’re not specified a length or subject, just genre: non-fiction. I appreciate that like you wouldn’t believe! No research? Doesn’t have to be 5-10 pages long? On anything we want to talk about? I’LL DO IT, WHEN’S IT DUE! But the part of me that’s OCD finds this a little hard to deal with. How will I know if I’m rambling on for another 2-3 pages when I could’ve nipped it in the bud 4 pages ago? Guess we’ll see what happens.

Color me weird, but I was really excited to start this assignment. I can’t remember the last time I was EVER excited to do an assignment. And it’s not because I think I’m gonna turn in something that’s gonna blow my teacher away. I’m just really anticipating what he has to say about my work. I haven’t done anything like this since 2000! The last English class I took was “Craft of Fiction” during my 4th year at UCI (with best-selling author Alice Sebold as my instructor, thank you very much!) so I’m excited to see how much my writing has changed in the last 5 years – I HOPE it’s changed! That and I’m waiting to hear “you suck at this why do you wanna be a writer” so I can grow accustomed to the criticism that this career involves. We’ll just have to wait and see I suppose. After I get the paper back, maybe I’ll blog it. hee hee hee…

No comments: