Sunday, March 06, 2005

4 HOURS OF PURE HAPPINESS

That’s right people, on Saturday morning and into the afternoon I experienced 4 hours of uninterrupted, genuine glee. My soul was uplifted, my mind was awakened and my heart was a-flutter. I’ve truly fallen in love…with writing. I’m head-over-heels for its freedom, at the same time finding myself engulfed in its intricate techniques. This one’s a keeper, folks, and my only hope is that the feeling is mutual. Allow me to tell you my story…

I went to the UCLA Extension Writer’s Program Open House yesterday. I didn’t even get lost going there! That would’ve been enough to make my day, but blessings, not wanting to be outdone by the light drizzle, continued to pour. I didn’t even have to pay for parking because, as I was waiting in line to enter the garage, a car on its way out pulled over next to me and the driver stepped out to offer me his parking permit for the day. He saved me $7! What a random act of kindness! Allow me to take back what I said about the lack of kindness in strangers. That guy made me eat my words yesterday.

And then as I stood there outside the lot with my map in hand, wondering how the heck I was gonna find my way through this city of a college campus, a girl came up to me. We were going to the same place and I had found my buddy for the day, Dana. My fear of feeling like a loner at such an event had been discarded.

Soon after, the real excitement began. I walked into the lecture hall and sat among a kaleidoscope of people. We all listened as instructors and students alike spoke about their love for this program, and most of all, their love for a craft they’re so passionate about that they wish to share it with others. I can write screens and screens about it, but I won’t bore you with details. All I can say is that I came out of Westwood with a really good feeling inside; like everything, moment by moment, is starting to happen for me and I’m paying close attention. No I’m not a published writer, nor do I have that M.F.A. on my resume…but not bad things to aspire for huh?

I got in my car and I couldn’t, for the life of me, remember what was in my cd player, but then the following song started playing and, well…cut to me groovin’ all the way to Glendale in my Rav. It couldn’t play at a more appropriate moment because I’m ready to come out of hiding. Nothing like true love to test your fear. FINALLY! Someone whose love for me will show in the form I’ll always cherish: words.

BREAKOUT
by: Swing Out Sister

When explanations make no sense
When every answer's wrong
You're fighting with lost confidence
All expectations gone
The time has come to make or break
Move on, don't hesitate
Breakout

Don't stop to ask
Now you've found a break to make at last
You've got to find a way say what you want to say
Breakout

When situations never change
Tomorrow looks unsure
Don't leave your destiny to chance
What are you waiting for?
The time has come to make or break
Breakout

Some people stop at nothing
If you're searching for something
Lay down the law, shout out for more
Breakout and shout, day in, day out
Breakout

No comments: