Sunday, May 09, 2004

MOM'S DAY

Today is Mother's Day, the day of the year dedicated to the honor and appreciation of the women who tucked us into bed, made our lunches, took care of us when we were ill and probably the one of the most, if not THE MOST important female role model in our lives.

I love my mom, as I'm sure you all love yours. From the day I was born 26 years ago, and when Tin was born almost 14 years ago, I know that, along with my dad, my mom has done nothing but assure the safety and well-being, not to mention happiness of their daughters. My sister and I are always #1 with mom. Tin and I roll our eyes when my mom makes comments about how pretty we are in a certain outfit or how nice our new haircut looks cuz we think getting compliments from mom is corny. But we realize quickly thereafter that her opinion means more to us than we make it seem.

Yes my mom and I have had our share of spats (who hasn't?) and there are times when I think she'll never understand what I'm feeling or she'll never stop nagging me about everything. But the honest truth is, moms know more than we often give them credit for and as much as we try to argue or fight the fact that our moms are this or that, we all know inside that we're destined to become exactly like them someday. I know that a big part us wishes that growing up to be half the loving caregiver and friend that mom is, or was, would be a privilege.

I hope that everyone has had a chance to remember their mom today, whether she's in heaven or right in the next room. We don't have to wait for the 2nd Sunday in May to let mom know we love her.

No comments: