Wednesday, May 19, 2004

DEAREST GOOD-BYE

I love going to the airport...I love it when I'm standing by the gate looking out for the familiar face I'm supposed to be taking home with me. I love it when I'm packed and ready to add another entry into my travel journal of life. I love the anticipation I feel right before I get to sit and fasten my seatbelt. The only thing I hate about the airport is often having to say good-bye when I'm there.

We had to bid Jhoette farewell tonight. If you don't know who Jhoette is, he's one of my best friends and he's in the Philippines attending medical school. I swear it seems just like yesterday when we were all singing karaoke back in March upon Jhoette's arrival, looking forward to our plans during his stay. And today I had to hug him, say I LOVE YOU, and then say good-bye.

None of us got choked up when he stood up from the table, grabbed his backpack and motioned for us to walk with him. Not one of us shed any tears as he showed his ticket and passport to the guard by the terminal entrance. No one uttered a disparaging remark as we walked away, knowing it would be 2 years before we'd see Jhoette's face again.

We didn't show much disdain this evening; instead choosing to joke around like we usually do to keep the mood light. Maybe it's because we were trying to deal with it all as best we could, hoping to stay, or even just become optimistic. But if you observed closely enough, you could see the heaviness that fill our hearts. It's not the greatest feeling you could feel. In fact it can be a little painful. It's a real mystery how a heart can tell when you're feeling sad, alone or angry.

I pray for the safety and success of my friend. I pray that with these great sacrifices will come greater rewards. I just wish this sacrifice didn't take Jhoette so far away. 1 year and 10 months...the countdown to his return begins now...

No comments: