Wednesday, May 12, 2004

LAWYER MEETS AN OFFICER & A GENTLEMAN

On a rainy Saturday last month, Ate Tin-Tin and I attended the wedding of one of our elementary school friends, formerly known as Michelle Anne Chiongson (I know I know, wedding 568,000 for me it seems like!). Anyhow, Michelle is 3 years older than me and I’ve known her since she was president of our student council at good ol’ St. Francis of Assisi and I was lucky enough to have her as a “schoolmate” when we got to Irvine. I’ve looked up to this girl for as long as I can remember. She’s just always been so mature for her age. I’ve never seen her overreact, become emotionally distraught or get worked up about anything. On her wedding day, rainy and windy as it was, Michelle was as calm as I’ve ever seen her. She carried on with the composure and confidence of the lawyer that she is, while her new husband, Wakonda, nicknamed Rook (got it when he was a marine) was as content as a man could be on his wedding day.

I’ve been to more than my share of weddings in the last 2 years, and I’d have to say that this was one of the most stress-free wedding days I’ve witnessed (next to my Ate Cheryl’s Boston wedding last May). Despite the fact that 2 maids of honor (one of which was Anne, who’s been Michelle’s best friend and a good friend of mine since St. Francis as well) and 2 bridesmaids had to help Michelle carry her dress across the parking lot to the church, despite the rain and clouds that covered the skies during the ceremony, and despite the unruly wind that forced the photographer to anchor Michelle’s veil to a bed of flowers during the pictorials, the day was nothing short of wondrous for our new Mr. & Mrs. Robertson.

I can’t tell you how happy I am for my good friend and her new hubby. Rook is one of the nicest guys you could meet. He’s always smiling and I can tell how happy he and Michelle are going to be. I’m so excited for them, especially Michelle, whose solo of O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM at our Christmas program way back in 1988 is something I still haven’t forgotten. She’s the first close friend I’ve had who’s gotten married and it’s been a real pleasure to have witnessed everything she’s experienced since our school days together. Pictures soon to come!

So kids…who’s next? Any takers?

No comments: