Thursday, February 19, 2004

SINGLE AWARENESS DAY

…that’s code name for Valentine’s Day to us single folks, and this past Saturday, February 14, 2004, we celebrated our 3rd annual celebration of this cursed holiday…I mean blessed – Blessed Holiday. =) Anyhow, this started in 2002 with just 5 “members”: Me, Randy, Iya, Leia and Tin-Tin (my then 11 year old sister, now 13, who I don’t think is even single. She says she is but I beg to differ). Anyhow, we just decided to have dinner at revolving sushi that night. Then last year, we decided to do it again, extending our membership to Ryan, Fantone, and Gwennie. We saw DAREDEVIL at a theater down the street from Revolving that night and just had a great time in each other’s company. Dinner and a movie? Sounds grrret right?

Well, that’s exactly what we planned on this past weekend to follow tradition. Joemama Carlos pimped it with Gwennie, Leia, Iya, Fantone and me as dates on Valentine’s Day. Wasn’t he the lucky dog? Dinner at Revolving Sushi was, of course, pleasing to the stomach while the company was pleasing to the spirit. And following this with 50 FIRST DATES was sheer perfection. Talk about appropo for the holiday! I couldn’t help but fall in love with Adam Sandler’s character, Henry, in this movie. The things he did for Drew Barrymore’s Lucy was nothing short of self-sacrificing and pure and simple loving. It was really touching.

After the movie, it was Coffee Bean for me, Joe, Iya and Fantone. We hung out for awhile for some fun conversation, which is all you really can do at coffee places.

This was truly one of the nicest Valentine’s days I’ve ever had. Granted I was Valentine-less in the formally-accepted sense of the word, I wouldn’t have had it any other way (unless of course Orlando Bloom happened to call and say how Kate Bosworth is nothing compared to ME!…but I live here in the real world where stuff like that happens NEVER). Anyhow, it was definitely the company that made the difference here. For the last three years, Valentine’s Day has become a day I actually look forward to because I had something to do and people to do it with. I spent Saturday evening with 5 friends who I LOVE LOVE LOVE being around. Never short of comical moments or the capacity for insightful conversation, it’s a real wonder why the 6 of us are still single! WE’RE SO AWESOME! Ha ha ha…no but seriously, I love my single brothers and sisters (Randy, Fernand, Marnelli, Fernie, Ryan, Andrew, Larnie, Jason – did I miss anyone? – Jhoette and Cahlo – we missed you all!) and my wish is that we all find love by next Valentine’s day, making our membership to the Single Awareness league zero!!

No comments: