Monday, February 02, 2004

Proud

Last friday I spent the evening catching up with some great friends. Some I talk to, if not everyday, every other day, and others I haven't seen in months or years. It's times such as these when you witness the embodiment of true friendship. Except for Cile, who is our honorary, I spent practically everyday with these girls; talking about boys, "suffering" through espanol, world civ, US history or experiencing god! And of course we discussed, in length, about our futures. I look at them now and I am so proud to see who they've become.

There is Daphne, who, I think is the most naturally intelligent person I know. Lawyer to be at the UCLA School of Law, she will kick ass in the courtroom one day and I can't wait to watch her. Rochelle, who's graduating from Pharmacy school THIS YEAR, is the most fervent student I know. You don't know true dedication and sacrifice for career and school until you've met her. Iya, who just got a new job working for LA county, and who you will constantly hear me raving about is finally getting a chance to show off her skills. YOU GO GET 'EM GIRL! Cheryl, nurse and wife-to-be, I don't know who's happier, me or her. Vanessa works for an investment firm and she said she loves where she works. Loving where you work and who you work for is success to me. Jessica, a graduate of FIDM, is a design consultant for Bebe. She's as stylish, but not over the top, as they come and I know one day she'll have a fashion show of her designs on E!'s Style Network. Riza, whose fatigue from working the night before still showed during dinner, is one of my MANY nurse buddies who I can't say enough admirable things about. She just bought a new Toyota Solara Sport! Her sister Kristine, who's always been artistic, has a fetish for sneakers and, I just know, will be discovered for her talent someday soon. And then there's Cile, who's lack of doubt in life has helped her name earn recognition in PAYCHECK's end credits. We tease her about leaving her children at the grocery store one day, or losing her wallet everyday, but the truth is, I never fear for this girl because she always lands on her feet regardless of what's thrown her way.

I can't find the words to decribe the admiration and awe I feel for these friends of mine, who have not only grown up to be successful and ambitious career women, but have managed to stay true to themselves in the process. None of them have been disillusioned by adversity or even success and I am proud to know them.

No comments: