Thursday, January 05, 2006

re*solve (r -z lv ) v. tr. (From dictionary.com)
1. To make a firm decision about.
2. To cause (a person) to reach a decision.
3. To decide or express by formal vote.
4. To change or convert.
5. To find a solution to; solve.
6. To remove or dispel (doubts).


I RESOLVE TO…

DRINK MORE WATER. Oh the smell of coffee in the morning at the office will more than tempt me to grab that "Class of 2000" mug of mine and fill it with cafe delight. But I realized last week that I drink coffee practically every single day, even on weekends. Sometimes I drink more than two cups in a 24-hour window, especially if I happen to hang out at a Barnes & Noble or a Coffee Bean with addicts like Bobbers who consume it like water. All that dairy, sugar, caffeine - not so good for the body. The OCCASIONAL cafe vanilla latte with soy, however, I'm game for!

…REALIZE THE NECESSITY FOR SPONTANAEITY. One fateful Tuesday night, our writing class was cancelled (much to our relief because both of us were particularly lazy that night) and Fernand and I had 2 ½ hours to kill before meeting up at BJ's for Riann's "I'm done with my boards suckas!" celebration. So, to satisfy our longing as wannabe RENT cast members (we were belting out all we could in the car, for crying out loud!), we decided to hit the theaters and watch it again. That was so much fun! Just deciding, out of nowhere, to watch a movie in the middle of the week, during a window of time when we should be sitting in a classroom – that’s awesome! It felt nice to do something without having gone through a huge production of planning; texting, phone trees and emails, etc. It reminds you that not all decisions need meticulous deliberation; that sometimes you DO have the ability to make a decision to do something because you just happen to feel like it. I don’t do that enough.

…EXERCISE IN DAILY RIGHT-BRAIN ACTIVITY. You want to test your creative abilities? Hone your skills with a paintbrush and an empty canvas in the form of an unfinished ceramic plate, vase or gargoyle. Spend a few hours at COLOR ME MINE! A bunch of us spent an evening there to celebrate Iya's birthday and it's truly amazing how quickly 3 hours can go by when you're trying to finish your piece. From a 2-inch turtle to a 12-inch fish (ask Joe to show you), the concentration on the faces of full-fledged adults are something I will never forget. Just picture these late-twenties people dipping their brushes into pallets of mixed up colors, unintentionally resembling Picasso paintings. Anyhow, I am bound to engage in SOME creative endeavour each day, whether it’s typing up a story outline, writing in my journal, blogging, reading – ANYTHING that lets the left, analytical side of my brain to chill for a bit. Ability and potential are not exempt from expiration. Once lost, it could take twice as long to recover.

These all seem do-able…we’ll see…

No comments: