Wednesday, January 25, 2006

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

I got the invitation for my 10-year high school reunion. Actually, the bigger event is Immaculate Heart High School’s 100th year anniversary. When we graduated from there ten years ago, celebrating our 90th year, we were a proud bunch. I can’t even begin to imagine how THIS milestone is going to play out.

Anyhow, we class of ’96 IH Pandas have discussed this event numerous times. Some are apprehensive about going, thinking that they have nothing to show for (no husband, kids, or 6-figure income). It makes me wonder if that’s all reunions are about: either showing that your potential back then carried out well into your adulthood or if it’s an opportunity for revenge, to show that the timid, slacker in econ class is now the CEO of some dotcom conglomerate. I always thought that reunions would be a great place to see friends I’ve lost touch with. Showing off my Louis Vuitton clutch, 2 carat round-cut Tiffany diamond set in platinum and a family picture of my Pulitzer Prize-winning husband and genius 4-year old was truly not my plan.

I just got an email from an old friend today. She said she wasn't sure if I was planning to attend the reunion because she knows I haven’t “really accomplished anything (haven’t graduated – I assume she means grad school cuz umm, hi, UCI CLASS OF 2000! - no husband, no kids, etc).” I didn’t know whether to be offended or amused, so I just laughed.

It’s just funny what things people consider accomplishments in life. I never really thought that I “failed” to accomplish anything. I’ve learned that priorities and plans change as we change. Falling in love, having kids, getting my Master’s or Ph.D., writing a best-selling novel, living in a big house, driving a fancy car, owning expensive things – those would be great things to have in life, but I always thought those were, well, options not requirements. Living in a cute apartment by myself, furnished by IKEA rather than Pottery Barn, freelance writing for a living, riding around in my 2002 titanium Rav 4 and babysitting nephews and nieces would be as much of a privileged life than any other…well, maybe for me.

No comments: