Wednesday, August 04, 2004

THE SUN’LL COME OUT TOMORROW

You all know what it’s like to deal with bad situations in life that don’t seem to have a beginning or an end, thereby making it almost impossible sometimes to handle because we don’t know where the stupid issue came from. At times they start out as small cracks on the ground that cause you to lose your balance for a second, but eventually turn out to be nothing more than life’s way of checking to see if we’re paying attention. But then sometimes, before you know it, those cracks turn into these huge potholes that pull you into a black abyss of melancholic aggravation. That’s when we turn to self-loathing, or in most cases, loathing everyone and everything around us. The choice that faces us when these seemingly unbearable moments in our lives take place is to either resist it and complain and pout all the while or allow ourselves to face it, deal with it and let it pass. Iya always reminds me of the wise words we learned from My Best Friend’s Wedding when things become difficult: “This, too, shall pass.”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cried myself to sleep when I’ve felt lost or alone and then woke up the next day feeling like everything would be different somehow. I’ve learned that fighting the need to marinate in sorrow is difficult to do, but necessary to survive adversity. And it’s not only more helpful to the soul, but much better for the heart and ulcer too. There really is truth to Annie’s mantra. I don’t know what it is, but there’s just something about looking to that “next day” to alleviate pain, minor and major.

Tamyra Gray has a song on her cd that totally describes all this. It’s called:

YESTERDAY / TODAY
It’s just been one of those days
When nothing seems to be going right
And no one’s there to lend a helping hand
Just an ordinary day
When it all seems like a fight
Just to make it to the promise land

Tell me how do you keep yourself from falling
In the midst of all your doubts and all your fears
Tell me how do you keep yourself from drowning
How do you find the strength to persevere

Cuz the sun is shining on my face
And I know that things will be ok
It’s gonna be better than yesterday today
And tomorrow will be better than today
I can see the dawning of a brand new way
It’s gonna be better than yesterday today
It’s gonna be ok
It’s gonna be ok…eventually

Teardrops slowly fall from my eyes as I look to the sky
And I question how come life keeps passing me right on by
I just wonder why I can’t escape, is this my fate
To always be unhappy and how much longer must I wait

One day I know that I
Will truly find peace of mind
Happiness is not far away
Just around the corner comes
A sight of hope to release me from
My chains and set me free
Free so I can breathe

**And speaking of looking to tomorrow, a few weeks ago my cousin, Ben, was feeling down because he couldn't seem to get going on his job hunt for a school that could use his counseling skills. I felt bad for him but knew that it would only be a matter of time before something came up. That boy's too smart and able for a school to pass him up. 'Lo and behold, he went on an interview last friday and he got hired this past Monday! You go, Ben! I'm so proud of you!

No comments: