Wednesday, August 25, 2004

HEAVEN SENT

My Sunday this past weekend was just that - sent from above. It's just been one of those episodic moments of mine that occur every couple of months. I've just been feeling very tired - almost lifeless sometimes, going through the motions of daily obligations without any sense of faith or conviction.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to do too much at one time; like I'm trying to be the dutiful daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, friend and employee every minute I'm taking a breath, each second losing myself in other people's lives. But then there are those days when I feel like I'm not doing enough for people I so dearly care about; that I can't squeeze in a half hour everyday to talk to my grandparents who live just next door, or take a moment to have a conversation with my sister instead of reprimanding her because she's slacking in her summer reading or because she doesn't do enough chores in the house, or calling a friend to ask her how she's really doing and then be able to say whatever will put her at ease. Anyhow, that's how I've been feeling lately. Cile asked me today how I was doing and it made me laugh because I didn't know where to begin. I’m not really feeling anything I could explain to anyone. I can’t even cry about it because I don’t feel like it’s necessary.

This Sunday, however busy as it was, somehow made me ease up. After mass and lunch with the family, I headed to Rowland Heights to join Leia, Andrew, Viv, Jean and her family to witness Hayden’s baptism. He’s officially a member of God’s family now and I’m so happy for him!

That evening, Ryan and I attended the Josh Groban concert at the Arrowhead Pond. We bought the tickets such a long time ago (in May I believe) that we almost forgot about it. Thank goodness we remembered because it would’ve been an unbelievable loss if we had. William Joseph, a classically-trained pianist under the guidance of famous composer David Foster, opened the show and it’s safe to say he gained 10,000 fans during his 30-minute set. Speaking only between songs, he awed everyone in the room with his amazing ability to play the piano with the passion that he did.

When Josh Groban got on stage I was a little disappointed because there were no jumbotrons to allow the audience to see the performer close up. When Josh opened his mouth to sing, however, I realized what a blessing in disguise this was. Without the big screen to keep everyone focused on the performer, I was able to pay more attention to the music. And oh what beautiful music it was! Half the songs he sang weren’t even in English, but it didn’t matter. His emotionally inspiring voice kept all of us captivated. I realized how entranced I was when, in the first few lines of his song, “To Where You Are” (see lyrics below) I started crying because I suddenly remembered Papang (my grandfather who passed away last December). Talk about killing me softly. What an amazing voice he has! AMAZING! So I was given those 2 hours during the concert to just….be, and I really relished it.

Ryan and I braved the traffic home by singing to Josh Groban and Miss Saigon in the car (and 5 minutes of William freakin’ Hung that you don’t even get me started on). Sunday was a good day, and then came Monday…

"To Where You Are"

Who can say for certain
Maybe you're still here
I feel you all around me
Your memory's so clear
Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You're still an inspiration
Can it be...
That you are my
Forever love
And you are watching over me from up above

Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile to know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dream
And isn't faith believing
All power can't be seen
As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me everyday
'Cause you are my
Forever love
Watching me from up above

And I believe
That angels breathe
And that love will live on and never leave
Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile
To know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are

I know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are



No comments: