Saturday, August 07, 2004

MY MUSICAL SUMMER

I have not only been blessed with a busy summer filled with fun travels with friends and family, but I've also been fortunate enough to have experienced a handful of great concerts:

HARRY CONNICK, JR. - "You say tomayto, I say tomahto, You say potayto, I say potahto..."
If I could tell you my favorite place thusfar to watch a concert, I would say, hands down, the Hollywood Bowl. This place already holds a special place in our hearts because our high school graduation took place there! My fellow Immaculate Heart sisters and I take great pride in this unique event in our lives. But aside from that, watching a phenomenal performer like Harry Connick, Jr ANYWHERE would have been treat enough for everyone there, but to listen to him serenade us under the moon and stars was just...amazing. Everyone there had a picnic dinner before and/or during the concert, and that, I think, is what made the concert even more worthwhile for me. How many venues encourage you to bring your own food so as not to necessitate the purchase of a $7 hot dog? Harry performed with a good amount of alcohol in his system too, and that, aside from his singing, was entertainment by itself. He's really funny too! Great music, great performer, great venue...

BOYZ II MEN - "Never, never let a broken heart, take your chance for love away..."
No one can sing the classic ballads like Boyz II Men do...at least not in my lifetime (although our boys *NSYNC surely come close. I'm amazed by any group who can harmonize a capella effectively, i.e. En Vogue). Anyhow, we went to the Boyz II Men concert at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney this past friday and wow...did we feel old! Minus bass Michael McCrary, the guys of the talented vocal group thanked everyone for standing by them for 13 YEARS! And I know all of us counted backwards and said, "13 years? We were only 11-13 when they came out?" That's like our parents going out to see the Bee Gees or the Beach Boys in concert! Boyz II Men are from OUR adolescence! That's crazy! From the first beat of Motownphilly, to the heartwrenching On Bended Knee and Water Runs Dry, and then the End of the Road encore, the audience sang our vocal chords out. Talk about nostalgia! I can't begin to tell you about all the flashbacks I had in those 2 hours! From junior high memories of youthful exuberance, to high school heartbreak, to college crushes and then to the present state of longing, I reminisced like crazy. I love how music can make you do that. And if there's anyone who sing about the feelings curing stage of love and like, it's Boyz II Men.

JOSH GROBAN - "You raise me up so I can stand on mountains..."
A 23 year-old with the voice to compete against the Three Tenors, that's who this guy is. I'm gonna see him in concert in about 2 weeks and I'm so excited! I'm just so amazed with young people who have such great talents! What a gift to share with the world! I'll tell you all about it after.

No comments: