Monday, January 12, 2004

Getting to know...

MATTHEW B. MINDANAO aka MATT or ACHUBOY
Vitals: Matt was my first friend when I moved here from the Philippines in 1982 but of course we’ve been cousins since birth = 25 years and counting
Role in my life: Brother I Never Had – Matt and I are the same age (we were born 6 months apart), we started school together, we used to fight over stupid toys when we were little, we keep each other company at family parties, etc. We don’t ever get mushy about it, but there hasn’t been much that’s happened in my life that Matt hasn’t witnessed and I am damn grateful for him.
Good Times: Too many to tell cuz we grew up together! But here are some highlights: When we were about 5 or 6 years old, we were singing along to one of Matt’s Disney sing-a-long tapes and he decides to stick a marshmallow up his nose!…and of course it gets stuck. He cries cuz he can’t seem to blow it out until his mom comes to the rescue. A week later, he gets a piece of rolled up paper stuck up his nose!…Around the same age, Matt and I were playing hide-n-seek and I hid in a closet that doesn’t open from the inside. When I realized this, I was crying “Matt open the door!!” and he was standing there in front of the closet yelling, “Leng come out!!!” and we went back and forth like this until my dad finally came to my aid.
In his own words: “Please man! Get this dog off me! Please! Edwin, Carlo, Dino! Get this dog off me! C’mon, it’s gonna give me nightmares!” (Matt hallucinating after too many beers)

No comments: