Saturday, June 11, 2005

TONIGHT, A READER

I spent another evening at Barnes & Noble today. My former UCI Bookstore boss would be very disappointed in me (Sorry Matt), supporting the corporate book world. I promise to look for independent bookstores soon. Anyhow, Iya invited me to go watch Mr & Mrs Smith with them this evening and, though the curiosity is there and I've fallen for Brad Pitt (I'm a later bloomer), I opted to spend another evening reading and writing. That and because every cent that comes out of my pocket now is under the strictest scrutiny.

I sat on the floor of the writing section of magazines and read...and read...and read...all the while trying to injest advice I don't often see or hear in my everyday encounters. There was one article about how one can be inspired my an inanimate object, such a building or a tree, etc. But that one source of inspiration can't always be enough to run 15 pages of text on. Adding a HUMAN element brings the inspiration the life it needs to go forward in a story. Quite interesting. It made me think...and we all know what happens when I start doing that!

Have any of you ever read random blogs, of people you don't know? I love doing that, especially if the blogger is from a completely different environment than I could ever know. It's so amazing to read about other people's experiences; living in Kentucky, growing up in Australia, travelling to Italy. It makes me smile to read about their day and to know that they could be doing the same thing as they read my blog, wondering what life is like in Glendale, CA or America. It makes me realize how unfathomably huge our world is. Sometimes I think we need to remind ourselves that we're not the center of the universe; that there are people and phenomena we can't even begin to imagine. It's truly humbling.

No comments: