Sunday, April 25, 2004

PASSION AND TEARS

So I finally gave in and watched The Passion on friday night with Iya and Jhoette. I really thought I'd live without having to watch it, thinking that the story had been embedded so deeply in me enough (during 13 years of Catholic school)...plus I heard how long the sscourging scene was (12 minutes I think they said) and I hate watching people suffer. Anyhow, Iya somehow convinced me to just watch it and I did, heart beating as loud as ever the second I sat down in the theater. And then it began, 2 + hours of Jesus' road to Calvary. I cried at least half the time, especially during the scourging. Though my eyes were closed, the lash of the whip hitting flesh wasn't the quietest sound and it just made me sob harder. I think if I had just watched it, maybe I wouldn't have cried so much and might've just sat there in shock to the horror of the torture, the torment.

I couldn't begin to explain how I feel about the movie. It's not your typical blockbuster, chockfull of action sequences and famous headlining actors, and it's no independent film, filled with the simplicity of script and direction. The Passion just IS and I can't recommend that anyone see it or don't see it. It's something I'd leave up to the one caught with the decision. Just don't expect to understand more of a something or even understand less. Don't watch it hoping for answers to questions. That's not what it was to me, but you'd be the judge.

No comments: