Thursday, April 22, 2004

ANGEL OF GOD, MY GUARDIAN DEAR

Riann and I went to mass today and Fr. Maurice gave a homily about guardian angels. He talked about how we've forgotten they exist. We've been taught in our childhood that at the moment we're brought into this world, we're all assigned a guardian angel who sits on our shoulders, guiding us through life. I remember in elementary school, the prayer to our guardian angel was said right before recess every single day and I don't think it's meant anything to me until I was reminded today.

Fr. Maurice advised that angels are some of our greatest intercessors to God, and moreso our protectors and communication experts. If we're ever in a bind trying to get something across or we're afraid of something, not only can we call on God in prayer, but we can ask for a little assitance from our guardian angels, our lifelong friends. I know it sounds crazy, and maybe even a little childish for a 26-year old to be calling on her guardian angel for help, but it's that mysticism inside all of us that yearns for this kind of help, this kind of faith that you just don't question. Next time you can't seem to figure something out, call on your guardian angel for some aid. You might be surprised.

Fr. Maurice even told us that every guardian angel has a name. He said we don't GIVE them names, we ask and they just let US know. So after communion, in the silence of my reflection and prayer, I asked my guardian angel what their name was and before I could finish the question in my head, I got an answer. My guardian angel's name is Gordon. When we got out of mass I told Riann about my guardian angel and her response was, "So my guardian angel's name is Bruno, and he's German." Ha ha ha...so there you have it, Gordon and Bruno, our guardian angels. I know all of you have got one and as much as you'd like to say this is weird or childish and would rather not participate, just give it a try. Ask YOUR guardian angel what their name is and see if there's anything they can help you with. It never hurts to ask for an extra hand to hold in life.

No comments: