Monday, March 27, 2006

GETTING SICK

Some say that getting sick is your body’s way of telling you to slow down and relax. Apparently my body’s been trying to get my attention for the last few weeks but I’ve been too busy to listen. Hence…

Last week was the worst week of driving for me. Except for Monday’s relatively effortless commute, everyday thereafter was pretty annoying. Thursday was the worst of all. Apart from the 2 hours it took to get home, I was feeling achey (a sign of sickness to come), I could hardly keep my eyes open (dangerous), I couldn’t figure out if I was hot or cold so I kept turning the vent on and off and, because I hadn’t charged my nano the night before, I didn’t know whether to listen to the radio or put in a cd and I was just plain restless. I got home at 5:55 pm (I left Thousand Oaks at 4:05 pm) and attacked the couch. I couldn’t even make it upstairs to my bed. I missed out on some fine dining at Cinch, and (this is how delirious I was) I FREAKIN’ MISSED ER! Thank goodness for DVR!

So I fell asleep by 10 pm (a rarity), woke up for 10 minutes at 1:30 to wash my face and brush my teeth, and woke up at 5:30 am, still feeling kinda blech, but better-rested, which was good because Friday was SUCH A BUSY DAY! The drive home, again, sucked, and of course the drive to the Block that evening sucked even more. But after a late evening on Friday night with my cousins, and then an all-day family gathering on Saturday afternoon, my body said, “Anna, if you don’t shut up and lie down I’ll push you down the stairs so you’ll break your leg and have sit life out for a few weeks!” Last night I just felt YUCK. You know when your skin’s all sensitive, and your body feels completely void of energy and you just want to “turn off?” Well, that’s what I did Saturday evening, I just turned myself off, because I had to. My sister was at her friend’s party so my room was fairly quiet. I sat up in bed and watched “Wedding Date” on HBO. It was an okay movie, but I think the fact that I was sitting by myself, in my room, with the computer off and a movie playing without commercials was treat enough so I couldn’t really complain.

Anyhow, it was nice. I always “plan” on having a movie night to myself and I always think about which of the hundreds of dvd’s I’ve got but don’t find the time to watch, will be THE ONE I’m in the mood for. I hate that I have to PLAN something that seems so simple. How hard is it to find 2-3 hours of alone time (except during the daily commute of course)? But, like I said, getting sick will sometimes get you that alone time we often unconsciously crave in this life where tasks and requests are shot at us at rapid-fire pace and we're expected to respond in record time. So next time you start to sniff, take it as a warning and relax.

No comments: