Wednesday, July 28, 2004

WE THE JURY...

You must love your job an awful lot (or maybe a little) to want to pass up an opportunity to sit on your fanny all day to read, write or just think. Or actually, in my case, I HATE my job so I'd kill for an opportunity to sit on my bum in a room full of strangers to read, write and think I'm probably the only person in this nation who leaps at the chance to have jury duty (at least while I'm at this job). I would rather do nothing all day in that jury room than sit in my office and listen to people yell at me over the phone. Besides, you can have lots of great quality time with yourself as you wait and see if your name will be called. In 7-8 hours today, I finished the last 120 pages of CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC, started a new book, wrote a poem, decided to pursue writing and accounting, had lunch with my Tita Cecile who works for the district courts across the street AND re-evaluated my life for the 7th time this year. Why do people hate jury duty?

The last time I had jury duty, we were dismissed at 3:30 pm. My name didn't get called for a panel at all. So today they tell us that we would get dismissed between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. 3:30 pm comes along and I'm actually looking forward to going home when they make that announcement that they're going to set up another panel for jury selection. 'Lo and behold, my names gets called, along with 35 other people and we head up to the courtroom. They only got through questioning 5 prospective jurors so we have to go back tomorrow. No work again for me tomorrow?...OKAY! I don't even have to be there until 1:30 pm so I get to sleep in! As Riann and Joe might say, "HOORAY!!!" If I don't get picked I'll let you all know everything!                                                              

No comments: