Friday, July 09, 2004

BAUTISTA BONANZA 2004

That's what we called this past weekend's events in Charlotte, North Carolina. Since 1993, my Bautista side has hosted a family reunion like clockwork. We began in Burbank in December of 1993, then San Francisco in 1996, Maumee/Toledo, Ohio in 1998, Long Beach in 2000, Chicago in 2002 and then this year in "the South." We have it every 2 years and it's something that I look forward to during the odd numbered years.

When I got home from Hawaii 2 weeks ago, all I could think of was how much I missed being there and, oh crap, I have to fly to Charlotte this weekend and I still have to do laundry and pack...AGAIN! I was so dead tired after Hawaii that getting excited for the family reunion was something I practically missed out on. It wasn't until I saw my cousin, Ben, at the airport Friday morning that I realized how hard it was gonna be to leave when the weekend was over.

Charlotte, NC is a beautiful city! I spent the week of Thanksgiving there in 2000 after my internship in DC was done and I was nothing short of amazed at how clean and fresh it is there. No overpasses for freeways! In fact, there were times when I didn't even KNOW we were on a highway because the area is just surrounded by trees! The city's practically brand new, with all the new homes being built.

Anyhow, I digress. I'm not supposed to be blogging about Charlotte. I'm supposed to be blogging about my family. If only I could find the right words to describe how much I love everyone! It amazes me that every 2 or so years, we have this family reunion where my relatives from all over the US (and sometimes the Philippines) travel long distances to spend a couple days, sometimes just a day, together and then go back home. To spend $200-$400 for a plane ticket to a place you're only gonna be for 2 days is priceless to me. But that's how we are, how all families are, dedicated and loyal to the maintenance of our camaraderie and legacy, and I love it.

I love how my mom and my aunts and uncles reminisce about their childhood in the randomest of moments. I love how my aunts and uncles can joke around with the younger folk without causing any misunderstandings. I love the family gossip that people think only THEY know but really, the whole family knows. I love having so many nieces and nephews (kisses Jeremiah & Rosalyn!!). I love how my cousins and I don't see each other for 2 years, hanging by only a few phonecalls and e-mails in between meetings, yet still manage to uphold one of the strongest bonds I know: a friendship.

Aside from the humidity and rain this past weekend, everything, to me, was perfect. We got to meet my cousin's fiance who was nothing but sweet and charming. Alan & Stephanie are getting married in February! We had a fine dinner at my Auntie Nini's house on Friday night. On Saturday afternoon, we had an indoor "picnic" at a community center, which was followed by an evening of more eating, talking and magic mic'ing in the adjoining suites at the Double Tree Hotel. On Sunday we went to mass at St. Vincent de Paul (There was a hilarious announcement article in the bulletin that I will share with y'all after this entry - oh geez, did I just say Y'all?!). A bunch of us went shopping at the mall across the street, and then went back to the hotel rooms to get changed for the banquet that evening. The banquet was excellent. Lots of performances (YOU GO G4!), food and picture-taking! My cousins, aunts and uncles from up north had a flight leaving at 6 am the next morning, so my cousins, my sister and I decided not to sleep until they had to get ready at 3:40 am!

Monday, the 5th was Alan & Stephanie's birthday brunch at Tin-Tin restaurant. Mmmmmmmm...too bad I was too busy chit-chatting to go for a second round.

I had the best time ever, wishing our reunion could've lasted a whole month! But I bet the time would've gone by just as fast. Isn't that always the case when you're having fun? I'm looking forward to the next reunion of the Big, bad Bautista Clan. Vallejo 2006, here we come! In the meantime, I'll be here, missing everyone. Thanks family! To quote Ben, "I love being a Bautista!" Check out some photos!

No comments: