Friday, July 16, 2004

BITTERSWEET HELLO….BITTERSWEET GOOD-BYE
 
I love that term, “bittersweet.” It’s like feeling pleasure and pain at the same time. This Kobe-Shaq thing has been the perfect example of this feeling for me. I know the last month or so has annoyed a lot of people no doubt, even/especially Laker fans. Iya asked me how I felt about the whole thing a few days before ESPN and Fox Sports were barraged with newsflashes and press conferences regarding deals made with the NBA’s free agents. But as big a basketball and Laker fan as I am, I couldn’t seem to form an adamant opinion about the situation. Am I glad Shaq’s gone? Hell no! I’m gonna miss the big man, the player no coach or peer had an answer for (except maybe this year, Larry Brown). But at least he’s got his castle of a house in Orlando, not too far from Miami so I’m thinking he’s not doing THAT bad.
 
Am I glad Kobe’s staying? I’m a Kobe fan, of course I’m happy! I know he’s got a lot to work on, especially when it comes to his image (oh man, why the infidelity, Kobes?). But I’ve got faith in people I’m a fan of. Call it unconditional fanaticism! I’m disappointed in his choices, but people forget he’s a 25-year old young man, with the world on his shoulders and the greatest abilities to make mistakes he will no doubt regret his whole life long. Yes I miss those Adidas commercials which showed Kobe writing in his journal or exercising his Italian; and of course those McDonald’s commercials with the little kids who asked him to be part of their team for the championship game. I miss THAT Kobe and I wish he hadn't gone to Colorado last summer. But I believe him when he says he feels guilty (cuz he SHOULD feel bad!) and I know he knows that he’s going to spend a great part of his lifetime trying to convince people he’s a better man than that. Here’s hoping his choices this year bring him more fortune (Aside from the disgusting $130+ million for the next 7 years) than disaster.
 
And then there’s GP, who’s decided to stay and attempt to get that ring he’s so hungry for. All I gotta say is, “Fine Gary, you can stay…but make your presence felt, know what I mean?”

Ok kids, I’m off to Northern Cali with the Annie, Ate Tin-Tin, Fantone, Cile, Gwen, Isa, Leia and Larnie to for some bonding before Miss Maria Larnie Alcala Boquiren heads to Arizona for grad school. Have a safe weekend everyone! If you’re partying, make sure you’ve got a DD!


No comments: