Wednesday, September 17, 2008

reunite [ree-yoo-nahyt]
to unite again, as after separation
Synonyms include: rejoin, reconvene

Chicago – Day 1
I arrived in Chicago yesterday afternoon after a quick 3 hour and 40 minute flight on American Airlines. May I just say that AA has the tiniest seating area I’ve ever encountered? The guy sitting in the next seat might as well have been resting his head on my shoulder! If he was hot I probably wouldn’t have minded but that’s not the point.
Thank goodness for the first familiar face I saw when I arrived…Reyna (an old roommate of mine, Cile and Ter’s), is doing her residency here in Chi-town so she offered to chauffeur me around. I haven’t spoken to her in a few months, and our contact is reduced to occasional emails, phone calls, annual Christmas cards and her infrequent visits home to LA. But there really is much to be said when this lack of interaction has not threatened our bond…even a smidge.
I got to hang out at her house and, after checking into my hotel, was able to spend some time talking to her. We had dinner at a Brazilian restaurant called Fogo de Chao, where every type of meat (chicken, beef, pork – all of it!) is available for consumption. Suffice it to say, I could barely breathe after I was SOOO FULL! This nice meal would’ve been had through the kindness of SAGE, but instead it was enjoyed through the kindness of Reyna (thanks, Renaleen!).

After dinner, Reyna and I planned to walk around the city to find some dessert, have some coffee and just catch up. Instead, we ended up talking all evening in my room at swissotel (details of THAT later). We even ordered coffee through room service, only to realize in the middle of our “coffee talk” that there was a coffee maker, ready for brew ground coffee, and two mugs sitting on the desk next to the tv. Oops! Losers.

After Reyna left, I finished unpacking, washed up for bed, and talked to Riann on the phone for a bit. Then I turned off the lights and dozed off quicker than you can say goose down pillow…

No comments: