Friday, April 15, 2005

THE POWER OF DESPERATE PRAYERS

I believe...

These last few months, I’ve been part of every single “I’m so broke” lament. I promised myself that this year was gonna be THE YEAR I literally watch every single penny I spend. But for SOME reason, I’ve felt more destitute than I did when I wasn’t as strict with my finances. I hate it. Every dollar of every paycheck seems to be under extreme scrutiny, getting assigned to the U.S. Department of Education, Bank of America, Best Buy, etc. I pay my bills the minute I get paid because, heaven forbid I fool myself into thinking the money in my checking account is actually MINE to keep! And don’t even get me started on my depleted savings account. They really shouldn’t call it a savings when there’s hardly any funds SAVED in it!

I’ve had to give up on the simplest of joys (movies, coffee bean, fast food – which is the only blessing in disguise), and I’ve been so completely and utterly annoyed at having to live paycheck to paycheck – if that at all! Last night I was writing checks, balancing my account and on the verge of screaming my vengeance out into the world where athletes and actors get paid millions and billions of dollars to say they wear a certain shoe or use a certain deodorant, while third world countries get hit with natural disasters, and average joes and janes like us work ourselves to utter boredom and fatigue, STILL barely have enough to get by.

So I called on the saint of all saints, St. Jude, patron saint of impossible cases to help me figure a way out of my seemingly indestructible wall of debt. You don’t know understand how much I pray to this saint. He’s an awesome intercessor to the Lord who I’ve called on hundreds of occasions and I’m so grateful…most especially today.


I logged in to wellsfargo.com this morning to transfer funds (again) from my savings to my checking account as today’s paycheck was, surprise surprise, not sufficient enough for Cycle B of my monthly payments. ‘Lo and behold, what do I see? A DEPOSIT FROM THE U.S. TREASURY! MY TAX REFUND’S HERE! St. Jude, you’re the best! My savings account SHALL be revived! Talk about having your prayers answered!

No comments: