Sunday, June 15, 2008

mutual [myoo-choo-uhl]
having the same relation each toward the other; possessed in common;common to or shared by two or more parties
Synonyms include: common, shared

It's so funny what can create bonds between friends, strangers even. Take this past year, for instance. I've been a Laker fan since I was about 10 years old. We initially got cable for one reason and one reason only: to have Prime Ticket so we could watch home games. Over the years I've come to appreciate more than the excitement of watching the game. As I've gotten older, the sport, the team, down to the individual athlete, have become sources of passionate fanatacism for me. Suddenly, basketball didn't feel like just any hobby (especially since I can barely play) or interest. It became a part of life...at least from October through June (if you're lucky).

This past season has been a special one though; not because Kobe stayed, not because Pau is here, not because the Lakers have done so well. It's because I've had so many people to share in the load of being a fan. Not that Dad isn't enough. Having someone to scream at the tv with is plenty. But the fact that I get texted cheers or profanities before, during and after a game, the fact that email tagging during the workday often resembles a roundtable of NBA analysts, and the fact that I suddenly have backup against those haters...ok, really just ONE hater =) , this season certainly is a special one.

I don't know what Tuesday's game will bring. Will the Lakers force a game 7 or will the Celtics finally win that trophy? No matter how this season ends, there is a support system on deck to either share in the misery or share in the joy.

No comments: