Tuesday, February 26, 2008

grace [greys]
In Theology:the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God; the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them; a virtue or excellence of divine origin
Synonyms include: blessing, clemency, forgiveness, mercy, elegance, beauty

There's a great book by Neale Donald Walsch called Conversations With God. The title isn't a metaphor for anything because the book is literally written in back and forth conversation form. When I first read it, I admit that it was for curiosity's sake. When I was done though, I started to pray differently.

There are so many forms of prayer: singing, chanting, meditating, walking, reading, etc. But it wasn't until I read the aforementioned book did I realized that prayer, in its truest form, isn't me talking AT the Lord. It's us talking to EACH OTHER.

I've had many conversations with God. Sometimes it's my mental venting in silence, when I suddenly feel a warmth of calmness and comfort after. Sometimes it's me leaping up and down inside, followed by a radiant feeling. And then there are those rare moments when I am at the very peak of confusion, sorrow and/or despair and I find myself listening to a real voice in my head.
I had a conversation with God 2 weeks ago when I was driving home from work. I rather screamed a question out loud and to my surprise, got more than I ever expected back. It wasn't a voice figmented by my imagination. It was the sound of someone speaking. And I did what I always do when I can feel a presence (as corny as this may sound) in my heart...I cried. Not so much of sadness, but of relief.

No comments: