Monday, February 04, 2008

blur [blur]
a blurred condition; indistinctness; to dim the perception or susceptibility of; make dull or insensible
Synonyms include: becloud, bedim, hazen, blind

After work today, I went to see the eye doctor. I've been wearing glasses since I was in 3rd grade so seeing an optometrist every 2 years has been THE constant in my life. So you'd think that at 29 years old, 20 years since I donned my first pair of spectacles, I would have some sense to know what a regular visit would entail and prepare accordingly.

I had my appointment with Dr. Lee (very nice, young Asian doctor who was all smiles) at Teagle Optometry here at the mall. Instead of having my pupils dilated, this crazy cool camera takes a picture of the back of my eyes and the doctor can check for abnormalities, tumors, etc. Everything checked out ok, thank goodness. My prescription changed just a bit, which indicates that my vision is somewhat stabilizing. I didn't plan to buy new frames because mine are perfectly good still so I was getting ready to leave.

"So you're gonna leave your glasses with us to get the new lenses in. Did you bring your spare?" Dr. Lee asked.

"Spare? No, I don't have a spare," I said, knowing where this was going.

"Ok then! So you brought contacts?"

"Contacts?" I thought. Yeah, that would've been good to bring you idiot. How the hell were you planning to drive home? "No, I didn't."

Dr. Lee looked at me and was probably gonna ask if someone was picking me up so hoping not to look stupid I said, "Oh, I live close by. I can just walk home."

And so I did. I walked through the mall, through the parking lot...BLIND AS ALL HELL. I got to the end of the parking structure, getting ready to cross the street and I swear I'd never felt so scared of getting run over. The entire world was a big blur to me. What the hell was I thinking, attempting to walk home at night without any glasses or contacts to help me see! Oh man, this is another one to add to the list of stupid things I did when I was alive!

No comments: