Thursday, September 01, 2005

SOMETHING BRIGHTER

They say when you've reached your lowest point in life (or feel that you have), the only way to go is UP. What and where is "up," really? A metaphor for optimism I suppose; perhaps a hint of greater things to come after dreams are crushed and hopes are lost along this confusion we call our 20's? (Cue violin music please)

Yes, I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle sometimes...or most of the time. And it'd be so easy to blame the death toll of available credit and cash in-flows on naivete and ignorance. But I'm angry because I know that I put myself in this seemingly bottomless pit of debt and deficit. Apparently I'm a great a contender when it comes to a quick hand at flashing a credit card and saving face, than I am a well-trained economist who knows when enough is enough.

I balanced my checkbook last night, seeking to find an error in my calculations so that maybe I'd actually have more than I fear I truly do; hoping that "hand to mouth" would never ever apply to me (and our 60-day Microsoft Office trial is done and I can't get into any of my files and it costs $149.00 to get it GEEEEEEEEEEZ!). I'm aware of my situation, and, though I know coins and bills may never rain down from the heavens, I believe there's a reason - as I always do. And I always remind myself of how fortunate I am compared to so many in this world who are worse off. I wanna kick myself in rear every time I catch my pity parade rolling in. Cry me a river, Anna...

Anyhow, there's a song by Aqualung that I can't seem to stop listening to. Though the context seems to speak of falling in love, there's a general optimism that screams from beneath the notes that I hope I can talk about someday, perhaps after the dark clouds disappear. Can you imagine experiencing something "BRIGHTER THAN SUNSHINE?" What a wonderful image to aspire to!

I never understood before
I never knew what love was for
My heart was broke, my head was sore
What a feeling

Tied up in ancient history
I didnt believe in destiny
I look up you're standing next to me
What a feeling

What a feeling in my soul
Love burns brighter than sunshine
Brighter than sunshine
Let the rain fall, I don't care
I'm yours and suddenly you're mine
Suddenly you're mine
And it's brighter than sunshine

I never saw it happening
I'd given up and given in
I just couldn't take the hurt again
What a feeling

I didn't have the strength to fight
Suddenly you seemed so right
Me and you
What a feeling

It's brighter than the sun
It's brighter than the sun
It's brighter than the sun, sun, shine.

Love will remain a mystery
But give me your hand and you will see
Your heart is keeping time with me

I got a feeling in my soul ...

No comments: