Tuesday, February 03, 2009

cope [kohp]
to struggle or deal, esp. on fairly even terms or with some degree of success ; to face and deal with responsibilities, problems, or difficulties, esp. successfully or in a calm or adequate manner
Synonyms include: manage, confront, deal

I deal with many little nuisances each day that get me worked up - traffic, a bad hair day, a bottomless inbox, a Laker loss, etc. so one of my New Year's resolutions is to learn how to deal with those more calmly and effectively. There are two things in this life, however, that I feel inept at dealing with: #1 is guys and #2 is illness. I often find myself puzzled, worried, angry, scared and hopeless when it comes to these two things. #1 is something I'll probably be trying to figure out for the rest of this life and #2? Well, let's just say I'm glad I have friends and family who know a lot of important things (like the Graston Technique - thanks Larnie). And let's just say that I deal with everything the best way I know how.

When illness affects someone else, however, especially if it's someone I care about, that's when I feel completely helpless. My grandfather is having triple bypass surgery on Wednesday morning and I can't figure out what to do with myself. I don't know whether to be scared and worried that it may not go well, or have confidence in the commonality of such a surgery. What bothers me most is that I can't do much more to assure that Tatay will be there just fine and dandy, backing up his car in the garage when I get home from work on Thursday. The control freak in me is especially heavy-hearted today because she has nothing with which to manuever her desired outcome.

But it is in times like these when the control freak must, well, relinquish control to faith and prayer, which is what gets me through every time. So I ask you all to please continue praying for my grandfather (seen here in his hospital gown, with every monitor ever created attached to his chest and arms as he paid bills and balanced his checkbook! Geez, Tatay!).
Images like these do comfort me, as my 83 year old grandfather wouldn't dare allow open heart surgery to hinder his life. Still, I pray that tomorrow he'll be even fiestier and more hilarious than ever...

1 comment:

poet worrior said...

lang it is hard on me cause i feel that i cant do any thing here in jersey i want to be in cali helping you and all my family out there when things go wrong out there. i hate being here and not being with you when we have family emergencies

just know that im praying for the fam and i love every one out there
we will all get though this