Monday, February 09, 2009

calling [kaw-ling]
vocation, profession, or trade; a strong impulse or inclination
Synonyms include: vocation, pursuit, mission

Dammit, I still can't believe Eli Stone got cancelled! I just watched the very last episode that aired and it was such a good cliffhanger that I am THIS close to writing ABC and telling them what a crock I think their taste is. You're going to cancel Eli Stone for...for...TRUE BEAUTY? GET THE EFF OUTTA HERE! What a great show Eli Stone is...or was. In the 1 1/2 seasons that aired, I've been engaged in the characters, their issues, the subtle but not so subtle parable-like stories.

I love when I can pick out a line or two from an episode to take with me when it's done; a line or two that sometimes sums up the entire episode (and sometimes sums up what's going on in my life). In one episode, Eli says to a young woman who is a science genius, but who didn't want to share her research with anyone:

"You have a gift. A gift is something that is given to you - you don't own it, the world does. The world is asking you to use it. You don't get to say no, no matter how much you might want to."

If you've never seen an episode of Eli Stone, I'll break it down for you. He's a lawyer who discovers relatively early in his life that he has a brain aneurysm that causes him to see visions both non-sensical and real, but all revealing. Eli has kind of a twisted gift of prophecy, and although he resisted it, sometimes hating it and wishing he didn't have it, he knew he was blessed with it for a reason. He was given this gift so that he could help other people. Like Uncle Ben told Peter Parker, "With great power, comes great responsibility." And Eli, like Peter, had much power and much more responsibility.

We each have a role in this world - a purpose for being here. And we were each given some sort of gift to serve that purpose. Sometimes our gifts are as obvious as the tasks we're given to use them on. But other times, it's not so clear what we're being asked to do with our abilities and, well, I'm afraid I'll lose it sometimes when I'm not using it. There are times when I pray, "Lord, seriously, you couldn't call me to be something more concrete...like a doctor or a teacher or a ...chemical engineer maybe?" And I always get the same answer back...

I gave you your gifts. You'll figure out what to do with it. I can't do EVERYTHING for you.

I end up replying, Thanks...I guess. haha!

No comments: