Monday, April 28, 2008

blatant [bleyt-nt]
brazenly obvious; flagrant
Synonyms include: arrant, garish, outright

“I told your sister to teach you how to get thin!”


I haven’t seen my aunt in 4 months and these were the first words out of her mouth yesterday. As if I don’t feel overweight enough already, I also seem to unknowingly solicit insulting commentary from family to make sure I don’t forget which direction the scale is tipping these days. And seriously, how could I forget with people reminding me AT LEAST once a month (since October, fyi) that not only will I not grow any taller, but that I’m fat which makes my height so much more of a curse. I’m all about honesty being the best policy, but can we make an exception for relatives who aren’t aware of that other famous saying which asks that if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all?

“I know, Tita.”

That’s all I could bring myself to say without either wanting to throw curses at her or run to the bathroom and sob like a little school girl getting teased by bullies. I had to excuse myself to the kitchen (much to her dismay, I’m sure) and have some water. I understand that relatives (and sometimes people you barely know!) find it within their jurisdiction to let you know when you’ve screwed up (in any way shape or form), but really, find a filter and use it or shut your trap. Ask me if I eat healthily. Ask me if I exercise. Hell, ask me if I plan to die early. I promise I’ll get the message (I DO get the message, by the way) and maybe, just maybe, I won’t waste precious seconds of my life trying to keep my confidence in tact.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should have shoved a banana down your tita's throat. i'm sorry, but relatives are not excused from having manners.

Anna Mari said...

what the eff? relatives are just too damn unapologetic these days. i probably would have thrown cake in her face...but that's just me.

don't mean to be rude, but she was being rude to you.