Sunday, December 09, 2007

rival [rahy-vuhl]
a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor; person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority
Synonyms include: adversary, antagonist, opponent

High school rivalries - how do they start?! As an IH Panda, the team we couldn't stand were the Malborough Mustangs but I honestly couldn't tell you exactly why. All I knew when I got there freshman year was that they were our rivals and knowing that meant that I had to act accordingly. I have to say that it didn't take much to convince me to do so. The wrath and the anger we all felt when we saw the purple uniforms was...oh heck, it was a teambuilder! Hahaha!

Providence High School's crosstown rival is Bell-Jeff High School. The two schools aren't even in the same league together, so the games they play against each other are strictly for bragging rights. Here are the Pioneers in a team huddle to hype themselves up. Tin's the one on the right, crouched down because as captain, she felt she should say a little something to motivate the team and that's her putting notes back in her shoe because she said she wrote so much that she didn't think she could memorize it. hahaha!

Their gym is considerably smaller than Providence's so when they blasted the music the way they did last night, the sounds coming from the sound system were deafening. Mom and dad covered their ears during the entire 10-minute pregame warm-up!

Ate and Jeff came to support! You can hear her screams over the crowd! Thanks for coming guys!
Sadly, Providence lost this game for reasons that I don't even want to get into (at least not on something as public as this blog) , but the girls played hard and as a fan and supporter, that's all you could ask for.
Aaaw, cheerleaders...always brings me back to my cheerleading days, dancing away, waving our poms, fists and spirit fingers!
I'm sure this rivlary will go way beyond graduation for my sister and her teammates. Heck, every time I see a pack of cigarettes I'm brought back to that anger and wrath myself. But now that this game is over, Tin and her friends can look forward to the rest of the season. Hope to see some of you there! Come by and cheer for them. It'll be fun!

1 comment:

cecile marie said...

i miss my basketball days. miss un-ending practices, warm-ups, late night bus rides, and my no look passes that end up not being caught by anyone but going out of bounds. hahaha. whatever, jaja came to all my games. i'll see you at tin's next game.