Saturday, June 16, 2007

tolerance [tol-er-uhns]
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own; the capacity to absorb a drug continuously or in large doses without adverse effect; diminution in the response to a drug after prolonged use
Synonyms include: benevolence, endurance, patience

“You need a drink,” Iya emailed me at work on Thursday. “Wanna get coffee?” haha! I had already drank 2 cups of coffee that day so, no more coffee, I begged. “How ABOUT a drink?” I emailed back.
“Yes, why not HAVE a drink! We’re adults, gosh darn it!” She emailed again.
I got home at 6:30 and waited.
“Where do you wanna go? Where should we have drinks?” Iya texted.
“I want a pizzookie!” I texted back (I swear Iya and I barely communicate with our voices anymore. We’re too lezy.)
So Iya picked me up and we headed to BJ’s. Of course it’s packed because everyone’s watching the boring ass NBA finals. Haha! Just kidding (Bitter, party of 1?). So we sat at the bar, looking a little out of place without the entourage that we've grown so used to, and not knowing what to do first.
"We're gonna sit at the bar and order a pizzookie? THAT won't look lame," I said.
"Fine then, we'll order drinks...real drinks, so we look hard." Hahaha, oh Iya. Our lameness never shone so bright and we're cracking up because the closest that the two of us ever got to "going out for a drink" was meeting up at Coffee Bean to have some iced vanilla lattes and mocha ice blended.

It's not like we don't drink. We do drink but not all randomly like that night. Neither of us are beer drinkers and she has to drive home so...OOH!! Cider! We'll order berry burst cider - that's yummy! Cile says it tastes like Cherry 7-up which is right on!...A PITCHER FOR JUST THE TWO OF US TO FINISH! But we won't call it "berry burst cider" cuz that sounds wuss. haha! A glass each later, and Rochelle arrives, "What the hell are you guys drinking?!" Hahaha! We moved to a table by the bar, ordered some food and talked it up - good things, bad things, new things and I had one of those light bulb moments again, where I realized how much my friends and I have been through; the times that treated us like the privileged and the other times that made us feel like our lives weren't worth crap; yet we still manage to keep our sanity in check because we never seem to go through anything alone. What a difference that makes; to have friends who know you more than you know yourself sometimes, who stand back when they know you can handle something, but step in and get in your face when you're being a dumbass.

I went home that night buzzed (but NOT red in the face, and Iya drove home just fine). I was chatting with Cile before bed and suddenly remembered Rochelle saying that the only Phoebe song she knows is "Smelly Pants." I never laughed myself to sleep before that night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i told you not to mention BERRY BURST =)

ANNA said...

hahaha!!! oh no the secret's out...we're wusses. hahaha!

Unknown said...

that's not a secret! that's already known! hahaha!