Tuesday, September 26, 2006

rhythm [rith-uhm]
movement or procedure with uniform or patterned recurrence of a beat, accent, or the like; procedure marked by the regular recurrence of particular elements, phases, etc
Synonyms include: cadence, flow, movement, regularity, periodicity

I SOOO want to think of something clever to write about, but my system is so out of whack that I feel like if I try too hard to be a good writer, I'll just confuse everyone. So I'll just tell you what an off day I had today. I usually wake up at 5:30 am but this morning I got out of bed at 6:05 am. I didn't leave for work until 6:40, in a poorly put-together outfit, with my half-wet hair barely held together by a claw. When I got in my car I realized I had to get gas. This'll make my commute much faster, I thought to myself. By the time I got on the freeway, it was 6:50 am. I start work at 7:30, and next thing I knew, it was 7:10 am on a Monday morning and I had 30 miles to go. Thank goodness no one keeps tabs on time at the office. I got there at 7:45 am.

Lately I feel like I've been making a lot of mistakes at work too. I hate it because they're mistakes that I should have noticed. Like "Milwaukee, IL" on an advertising rate card. Milwaukee would be in WI, Anna. AAAAARRRRGGGHHH! We had 250 of those printed already and I can't have them reprinted cuz my boss doesn’t think it’s worth the trouble. Thank goodness my Bob (my boss) is sooo understanding about everything all the time. Then I had to run month-end reports and I could not, for the life of me, balance those numbers. I refused to go to lunch until I did so I ran the report probably 6 more times before things finally matched! I ended up missing out on lunch but that’s ok. Geez, sometimes I really hate numbers!

This week, one of my co-workers is at a conference so she had to clue me in on all her business before I left for the day. I usually leave at 4:00 pm. But because she had so much to hand over to me, I didn’t leave until 4:35. I’m clocking overtime for that!

Traffic from the office was relatively bearable than the morning. When I got home I took a nap and then headed to yoga with Riann. I sucked tonight. It felt SOO obvious that I hadn’t done it in a month! It’s all good though, because I tried and I’ll go again (for my sistah, Fantone).

It wasn’t really a bad day, per se. As Riann suggested, it was just an out-of-rhythm kind of day. I guess I just got so comfortable with everything, especially at work, that I developed a cadence, thereby doing things without thinking because it just became second nature. Today was a swift kick in the rear to remind me that I need to stay alert. That and I think for the first time I’m feeling overwhelmed at work and I have a hard time asking for help. I’ll work on that. I’m sure tomorrow will be better.

No comments: