Saturday, October 01, 2005

FROM WHERE I STOOD...




From our balcony at work, in Burbank, CA, this is what we saw. Across the street, through a few residential blocks, a fire ignited late Thursday afternoon and well into Friday right before we left for the day. It doesn't compare to the brush fire that ravaged the Ventura area, where my boss and his family packed up the car just in case the flames came closer to their home. I watched people on tv rushing into their packed cars, carrying everything they think is too important to leave behind for the imminent tragedy that nature had in store. It makes me wonder what I would take with me.

It's so strange, all these disasters, with different magnitudes, hitting one after the other. If it's not a tsunami, it's an earthquake, or a hurricane or a brush fire. I think I've seen enough images of loss this year to last me a lifetime. One can only hope and pray for safety and recovery so long. Danger seems to lie everywhere you turn...

No comments: