Monday, November 12, 2007

matriculate [muh-trik-yuh-leyt]
to enroll in a college or university as a candidate for a degree
Synonyms include: begin, enter, join, register

Everything is happening so fast. First it’s her first day of kindergarten, then it’s her first day of high school, and now she’s taking the SAT’s, worrying about college applications and we’re attending open houses?! Oh my, where has the time gone?

On Saturday, my parents, Tin and I attended an Open House at the Otis College of Art & Design. I’ve been wondering for months when a fire would light up under my sister’s ass and she’d finally start taking her future more seriously. I’ve been hounding her since the beginning of this year about getting her application requirements and deadlines, etc together, but I might as well have been talking to this tape dispenser on my desk because at the time, the opportunities and possibilities just weren’t an urgent matter for her and she got as far as googling schools but then…that was it. I guess all she needed was a peek into a life that she could have after the days of Spanish class and basketball practices were done with. This past weekend certainly did that.

As often as Tin and I harrass each other (her harrassing me waaay more than I harrass her, fyi), merely satisfying our sisterly obligation, everything hurtful that she experiences makes me feel as badly as it does her (sometimes more) and everything that she succeeds in couldn’t make me any prouder than I always am. She was so overwhelmed and excited on Saturday, seeing all the different projects that she could be working on and seeing the type of environment in which she will be learning even more of what she already loves to do; it made me really happy. I saw the amazement in her face, inspiration turning the wheels in her head, a bit of uncertainty in her eyes at what she thinks she is capable of doing to get to where she wants to go. It all told me that my baby sister was gone, replaced by this intuitive, perfectly capable young woman who didn’t need Ate, Mom or Dad’s help as much as she used to and we are just going to have to get used to it.

It’s so funny to compare this college search experience with what it was for my parents 12 years ago. In 1995 we were attending open houses at CalTech, visiting USC and UCI for “Engineering Days.” Now we’re looking at art schools where ONE YEAR of tuition could use up my entire year’s salary. I think my parents want to pass out every time they hear the cost of attending college these days. We’ll just have to cross the bridge of payment options for tuition when we get to it. For now, my sister’s only responsibility is to get in. Like they always do, I know my parents will figure it out. Maybe I’ll sell a vital organ or something. We’ll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I pray for Tin. No matter where she decides to attend, I know it will be right for her. And if it’s not, then I’ll tell her what I wish someone had told me before I got to college: that it’s okay to change your mind as long as you are changing it for yourself and no one else. I’m just thankful that my sister has found out very early on what she is good at, what she loves to do, her gold in life.

“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder

No comments: