Tuesday, November 27, 2007

comic [kom-ik]
of, pertaining to, or characterized by comedy; provoking laughter; humorous
Synonyms: amusing, absurd

My lunch buddies, Jovi and Eddie aren’t in the office today and I’m not hungry enough to eat my real lunch yet so I thought I’d just spend lunch at my desk, have a bagel and blog. Oh how I love simple joys…

Simple joys like coupons for free products; Bath & Body Works, Shutterfly, Victoria’s Secret, etc. They mean so much more to me than discount coupons because they have the 3 magic words on each voucher: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Fr. Maurice always used to say, “If it’s free, it’s for me!” Anyhow, I got a bunch of coupons in the mail right before Thanksgiving so I paid a visit to the mall on Sunday. I HATE my neighborhood during the holidays. It’s such a pain to get in and out of my street because everyone and their dog is shopping and the Glendale Galleria is seemingly the only shopping center in the area? So I walked across the street to the mall, fearing for my life because drivers in Glendale are jackasses enough, but during the holidays they have that extra spirited motivation to run pedestrians over.

I had a $50 giftcard to Macy’s so I bought some cute flats, and then after circling the mall a little bit, Tita Cecile and I stopped at Victoria’s Secret because I had a coupon for a free “holiday panty.” Sweet, I thought, fun undies with Christmas trees or holly or santa hats or presents, etc. Every free pair of underwear I’ve gotten from VS’s has been cotton and the style has always been the buyer’s choice. There’s like 7 different styles! I always get the one that covers the most surface area (too much info for my guy friends and cousins who are reading? Sorry! There’s a punchline, I promise!). I don’t see any signs about the free promotion coupon so after asking one of the salesladies about it, she pointed me to the registers.

When I got to the front of the line, I handed the cashier my coupon and she asked me for my size. “Medium’s good,” I said. So with that cute signature hot pink striped VS shopping bag in her hand, she goes into a cabinet behind the registers and pulls out what I can only describe as a really big, white hair tie. She wraps it in tissue paper, sticks it in the bag, scans my coupon, gives me a receipt and then says, “Thanks, have a great day!” I’m still puzzled because the transaction happened so quickly so as I was walking away I reached in and pulled out…drum roll…a white, satin V-string with rhinestones shaped into a snowflake. If you don’t know what a V-string is, please go on the website and check. Kind of threw my whole buying underwear that covers the most surface area out the window. Hahaha!

That was the comic highlight of my Thanksgiving weekend; well, that and seeing how amused my dad is by that movie, Elf. I swear it’s his favorite holiday movie ever! He was watching it in the dining room, cracking up by himself. Oh my, holiday cheer is indeed here!

No comments: