Thursday, July 12, 2007

perspective [per-spek-tiv]
the state of one's ideas, the facts known to one, etc., in having a meaningful interrelationship
Synoyms include: angle, aspect, slant, standpoint


It truly baffles me sometimes how I am completely in control of my life one minute and then utterly lost and agitated the next. I haven’t felt like myself this last month, especially the last few weeks. Neck, shoulder and back pain have possessed this body of mine, I’ve had the same tension headache for almost a week, I’m irritable, impatient, and during the worst part of it, lazy and apathetic. I could probably make a list of every grievance that has caused this emergence of my most unpleasant alter ego, but I know actions like that only lead to wallowing in circumstances that probably won’t matter to me 6 months from now.

I’ve been trying desperately not to complain about everything and become this dark cloud that (pardon the cliché) rains on everyone’s sunny day. But sometimes I ask God for just a moment to be human, to be angry with life and release the negativity that I know FAITH is supposed to suppress. Basically I pray for a moment to cry like a baby. This morning, on the 95 minute drive to work, sitting by myself in the car where I can’t annoy anyone, I got what I asked for. I felt like a child throwing a tantrum as my mom and dad stood by until I was done. “Go ahead,” the Lord said, “let it out and get it over with.” And I did.

Then I got to work and watched Cile’s video of our cancelled flight in Switzerland. We had every reason in the world to complain that afternoon – a cancelled 1-hour flight replaced by a 3-hour train ride, unable to find our luggage, hunger and fatigue taking over and, oh yeah, we were in a foreign country. But all we did was laugh at our serendipitous circumstances. Not one grumble of misfortune, not a word of worry, not a second of panic. Suddenly I realize…that’s what it’s all about. All this superfluous crap that feels like punishment sometimes – they’re just opportunities for us to make sense of life through the endless channels we have at our disposal: a funny story to tell people, a journal entry that turns into a book idea, an unforgettable photo, a quick but revealing sketch, footage for the wonder that is vimeo, a memory that will never fail to make you laugh out loud. That’s the heart of it…


The Heart of Life
by: John Mayer

I hate to see you cry
Laying there in that position
There's things you need to hear
So turn off your tears and listen

Pain throws you heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way, it should
But I know the heart of life is good

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
But then the circle of your firends
Will defend the silver lining

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way, it should
But I know the heart of life is good

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
Fear is a friend who's misunderstood
But I know the heart of life is good

I know it's good...

4 comments:

cecile marie said...

hahahaha. i don't know why it's funny. i'm crazy. i think you were tired (of lots of stuff and stuff you wanna do). and that stupid freeway has negative energy so you have to release.... especially in traffic. see... if you were in a train... and not driving, i bet it would be different... because it's moving. in traffic, you're not moving and you have to think to brake. and thus the nonsense of cecile is a revelation of nothingness. now that i think of it, you'd cry in a train anyway. chary was telling me, "cile, you don't cry foo..." and i said, "i knocked my head out this morning from the car door frame when i was getting in, and i was busting up laughing and crying at the same time."

and those are my big words for the day. if one can not comprehend thee. then you're stupid. HAHA. i laugh in your face. to rome (or greece)! what is your profession?!!! sorry, i've been watching too much of them spartan men in 300. love. love. love them.

ANNA said...

WOW CILE!!! thanks for sharing that wonderful train of thought!!! you get the award for longest comment ever put on my blog!

cecile marie said...

but notice that it doesn't make any sense.... and that i probably forgot what you wrote about anyway. hopefully it made you laugh. that's what friends are for.

ANNA said...

i think i've been around Cile-ology to know what you mean. haha!! LET'S WRITE SOMETHING AND MAKE MORE MONEY SO WE CAN GO WHEREVER WE WANT!!!