Sunday, August 21, 2005

5 DOWN, 2 TO GO

Weddings that is. Since February, I’ve attended 5 weddings with 2 more to go this year…SO FAR. By the way, not that anyone will care, but I'm retiring this wedding outfit shown below because it's the 3rd wedding I've worn it to, differing only with the white sweater that goes on top (Thanks for letting me borrow your shrug, Chris!).

So in the last 4 weeks, we’ve had 2 engagements announced. WHAT’S GOING ON! Hahaha! After the last engagement we got word of, Riann was like, “What is this, like the flu? It’s like an epidemic!” But at this age, mid-late 20's, marriage is no less than commonplace, is it? I think what’s affected me most are the people getting married.


My friend from high school, Cheryl, got married yesterday. From the day she told us she was engaged, to every moment we’ve spent planning her wedding, to the last time I talked to her on the phone (this morning), I can’t stop thinking of this friend I used to know; the one in Mrs. Rizzo’s religion class who thought I was Japanese, this bballer we used to cheer for from the bleachers, the same girl who fell off the roof just days before the prom, one of the many kind souls who chauffeured me around before I got my license. She’s a married woman now.



I’ve never seen her look more beautiful, especially holding the hand of her new husband Alan, who’s been everything to her these last 6 years.Their very first date was the day I left for England in 1999. They saw us off at the airport and then had dinner. Now they'll be addressed as Mr. & Mrs. Zee.

The day itself was not without its share of worries. Warning to everyone who plans a wedding: MAKE SURE THERE IS A FIRM UNDERSTANDING, ON PAPER, BETWEEN YOU AND ALL YOUR VENDORS because miscommunication and misunderstanding seemed to be the underlying theme last night. I swear when I was filling out the comment sheet for Alan and Cheryl at the hotel, I was wishing they'd given me more than 4 lines on that survey to speak my mind. Having the reception start an hour after the time we were told was inexcusable. But then I realized that you can't always battle with circumstances and win. You can either deal with each one accordingly or complain about it all night. I vote for the former, more active solution. Besides, when the reception program started, and people were eating and Alan & Cheryl looked to be calm, happy and excited, the rest of the evening ran itself, no wedding coordinator necessary.

I think I'm retiring my wedding planner hat for a little bit...until someone asks that is, in which case I'd jump at the chance to make timelines, calendars and put together guestlists again. Call me! We'll do lunch!

In the meantime, I'll just say CONGRATULATIONS TO ALAN AND CHERYL! A most happy life I wish on you two!


No comments: